“Spotlight” : Media Fellowship For Reportage On Discrimination And Violence Against Women And Trans Persons With Disabilities
Rising flame and Behanbox invite applications from women journalists to produce deep dive reportage on discrimination and violence faced at the intersection of gender and disability. The fellowship will fund original reportage highlighting lived experiences, gaps in coverage, understanding, data, policy responses and awareness about the violence and discrimination.
What is the fellowship about?
We are offering 5 fellowships to women and marginalised gender journalists to investigate and produce original reportage around (but not limited to) the following themes:
- Violence against women and trans persons with disabilities: the various forms, areas, and around specific disabilities.
- Sexual and reproductive health and rights related violations experienced by women and trans persons with disabilities.
- Discrimination faced by gender marginalised disabled persons in the covid-19 crisis: access to vaccinations, healthcare, education, employment and so on.
- Violence related laws for women and protections for disabled women.
Who can apply?
- Women and marginalised gender journalists with more than 3 years of reporting experience.
- Print, digital and multimedia journalists
Duration of the fellowship
This is a 3 month fellowship. Selected fellows will attend a 5 day online workshop in july 2021 on understanding the policy, data and legal landscape as well as the everyday experiences, language and other issues on women and trans persons with disabilities. This workshop will be facilitated by rising flame.
Fellows will produce their one original long form report every month between august and october 2021.
Fellows will receive an all inclusive fellowship amount of rs 30,000 each for the duration of the project. No additional travel or other expenditure will be paid for.
- Each fellow will be expected to produce 3 in-depth written pieces on the outlined themes between august and October 2021
- The reported pieces will be published on BehanBox as well as other reputed publications.
The application process requires you to submit your resume and 2 samples of your written work (especially if you have reported on disability issues before).
Please mention 2 references and their email details. (Reference letters are not necessary)
Application deadline : june 30, 2021
Click here to apply for the Fellowship
For any queries, write to us at
Application deadline: June 30, 2021
Notification to applicants: July 10, 2021
Announcement of fellows: July 20, 2021
Workshop: July 25, 2021
Terms and conditions
All reported pieces will go through a rigorous process of editing by editors at behanbox and experts at rising flame. The fellows must be available through the editing process.
About rising flame
Rising flame is a nonprofit organisation based in india, working for recognition, protection, and promotion of human rights of people with disabilities, particularly women and youth with disabilities. It is the recipient for the national award for empowerment of persons with disabilities 2019. Rising flame’s vision is to build an inclusive world in which diverse bodies, minds, and voices thrive with dignity; live free of discrimination, abuse, and violence; and enjoy equal opportunities and access. Since its establishment in 2017 as a self-led organisation, it aims to enable persons with disabilities standing at multiple intersections to have a voice, have a space, be heard and lead from the front. (website: www.risingflame.org).